Slider

You are Never Ready.

Monday, April 20, 2020

I know a couple of people who are expecting babies and people who are thinking about having babies, and I have found myself saying something a couple of times lately that I think it's important for people to know. I am not here to give advice (check it), but this is not advice really; I'd like to think that it is a supportive statement. So here's what I want you to know:

You are never ready to have a baby. 

Joe said this to me a lot during my pregnancy, and man, he was so right. The thing is, we tried to be as prepared as we could be for Bert; we made sure he had a crib and car seat, we painted his bedroom, we took a birthing class. And you know what? He popped out and threw us all for a complete loop. Even if he had come out completely healthy and fine, there is still no preparing for those never-ending nights that finally end, the weird crying over what seems like nothing, and just generally what it feels like to be completely responsible for another human being 24/7.

Friends, there is nothing you can buy, no amount of money you can save, no plan you can make that will completely prepare you for a baby. And while that might sound scary, it's actually not, and here's why: because God has already given you everything you need to be your baby's mother (or father). It's like what a fellow teacher told me once about being a new teacher: you give 100%, and maybe your 100% is only 30% of what your baby actually needs, but that's okay because God will give the other 70%. He will plug in those holes, and it will be beautiful. My friend Maggie reminds me a lot that Bert is Joe and my child for a very specific reason. God gave Bert to us because we are exactly the parents that Bert needs. We were all made for each other. Also, Joe tells me a lot too that Bert doesn't know what the internet says he should be doing or accomplishing, and that's true. Maybe you've never been a mother before, but guess what? Your baby has never been anyone's baby before either.

If you're reading this, here's what I know about you: you are already a great mother. And you have everything you need.


I mean, look how happy this kid looks, right? I'm clearly killing it as a mom. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what you think.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Copyright

(c) Anna Kraft 2012-2020